Goodbye, Harry

For my money, the best baseball announcer around died today. Harry Kalas called games for the Phillies since 1971, including every memorable Phillies moment in the last 40 years. Every good memory I have of the Phillies is accompanied by his play-by-play. I can still tell you word-for-word how he called Mike Schmidt's 500th homerun in 1987. Even if you don't know him from the Phillies, you've probably heard him narrating NFL films or doing voiceover on any number of commercials - most notably the Chunky Soup spots featuring NFL players. You may not know the name, but even if you're not a sports fan, you know the voice. I grew up listening to Harry Kalas, and in my mind there is no other announcer when it comes to baseball. Listening to the sport will never be the same for me. It sounds melodramatic, but it's true. So goodbye, Harry. Thanks for the memories.

2 comments:

AtomicU2 said...

Wow - you're right I don't know the name but I know the voice. I love NFL films - BECAUSE of this guys voice. NFL films are going to suck now.

Ma said...

It is very sad here in the Philadelphia area. We will miss Harry. I am just so happy that he got the win last year, got to see the ring presentation this year, and most of all, died in a place he loved......the broadcasters booth.