In Case You Haven't Heard...

I joined the masses of humanity on Friday night that clamored to see The Dark Knight. As you’ve heard, it’s fantastic. This is hardly news – even a mere three days after its release, positive reviews aren’t even timely. But just to add my two cents, Heath Ledger was indeed unbelievably good, and Christian Bale is the man as always. The thing that sets Bale apart from anyone that’s played Batman is that when he’s in the costume, he is Batman. With Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney…that always looked like those guys wearing a Batman suit. But when Bale is playing Batman, he’s playing Batman. Not a disguised Bruce Wayne. If you didn’t know that Bale was playing the character, you’d never recognize him with the suit on. And to me, that’s an underrated part of what makes this and Batman Begins so good.

And let’s not forget Christopher Nolan. This guy has a resume that’s unrivaled for the number of films he’s made. He wrote and directed Memento, Batman Begins, The Prestige, and now The Dark Knight. He’s also done both Following and Doodlebug, which I can’t speak for since I haven’t seen them yet. But still. That’s four movies that are all fantastic.

In other news, it looks like we finally have our travel plans figured out for the next little while. Jessica and the boys will be heading out to Delaware on the 9th to catch her brother’s wedding reception (the wedding is in Oklahoma, which is not an option), and I’ll be following on the 22nd for my sister’s wedding the next day. One of my goals while everyone’s gone is to do a bunch of video and photo editing. I’ve got a ridiculous amount of both that are untouched, waiting to be edited and put on DVD (in the video’s case anyway.) And when I do that, hopefully I’ll get around to posting some of it in this very space. You can start getting excited now. Also hopefully that will inspire me to start taking more pictures and video. There is shamefully little of both featuring Ronin. We’ve been the stereotypical parents who have a ton of footage of the first child, and very little of the second. But at least he’s only a year old, so hopefully it’s not to late to avoid giving him a complex when he gets older.

Speaking of things I wasn’t talking about, I finally fixed the siding that was hanging off my house. During one of the winter storms, we had some siding blow off of one of the gables. I bought a ladder in December, but of course at that point it was too cold to get up there and cut/nail siding. So we had siding hanging askew on the roof for about 7 months. It’s funny what you stop noticing after a while. The catalyst for me to actually get up there and fix it was that I saw birds flying too close to the house, and it reminded me of the last time I had birds living in the house. I decided to prevent another couple of birds crawling in there and dying.

But anyway, it’s getting late. I think we’re slowly getting back into the swing of things here. No gimmicks this time…I’m trying to do it organically. I’m not sure if that’s the right term for it, but whatever. Till next time.

0 comments: