The List: Bucket List of Bands

Last Wednesday, Zimm and his wife came with Jessica and myself to see the Foo Fighters. It was most awesome. The setlist was perfectly paced and ended up with "Best of You", after which it would have been pointless to do another song. There was also an acoustic portion of the show which featured the Foostics and a rousing version of "My Hero." And so, as is the tradition after I see a concert, I started thinking about all the bands I need to see in my (and their) lifetime.

1. Metallica


Probably the band I'd be most excited to see out of all those who will follow on the list. Bands that have been around for as long as Metallica with so many different kinds of songs are always a lot of fun to see, because the shows end up being diverse. Of course, you can only be so diverse when you're Metallica. But still that would be a great show.

2. Eric Clapton in some capacity

Whether it's with a band or just by himself, I gots to see Slowhand. There is nothing in the world like seeing a guitar player of his caliber live. These guys never play the same thing twice, and it's electrifying to watch them go off. On an unrelated note, I recently read Clapton's autobiography, and it was pretty good. A little sappy toward the end, but forgiveably so.

3. B.B. King


I know Joel saw the King before and said it was good stuff. And how could it not be? The same thing applies here as to Clapton. And with a catalog that spans 60 years, he's got a heck of a bag to pull songs out of.

4. U2

It's inexcusable really that I haven't attempted to get tickets to a U2 show before, and I don't intend to let another tour go by without remedying that situation. I've seen concert movies that are as exciting as some actual shows that I've been to. "Rattle and Hum" might be the best concert movie ever. So yeah, this will be a priority next time they're on the road.

5. The White Stripes/Raconteurs

I know the White Stripes have been in the area and they've played a smaller venue. I was quite annoyed when I saw that I had missed it. So on the next tour Jack White's involved in, I'll be watching. Anything involving Jack White in a smaller room promises to be gloriously loud and enjoyable.

6. Chris Cornell in some capacity

Whether it's in a Soundgarden reunion (please?), with his next band, or playing solo, Chris Cornell has got to be awesome live. I've heard all sorts of live performances of his and they're all pretty good. The guy has an unbelievable voice on top of having great songs to pick from.

7. Stone Temple Pilots

If they resemble the "Core" STP, sign me up in a heartbeat. If they resemble the "Tiny Music" STP, nevermind.

8. Either Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Eminem, Kanye West, or Lupe Fiasco

My favorite rappers. I don't know that I could go to a lot of rap concerts, though. So one or two would probably do it.

9. Garth Brooks


I know he's not touring now, but I can't imagine he won't go back to the cash well one more time at some point.

Honorable mention (wouldn't mind seeing): Derek Trucks Band, Band of Horses, Dave Matthews in some capacity, Jose Gonzalez, Prince, Wolfmother, Jason Mraz (guilty pleasure), Nickle Creek.

I'd also go and see most acts that I've already seen before. Aerosmith, Pearl Jam, AC/DC, Keith Urban, Gary Allan, The Black Keys, Foo Fighters...the list goes on.

Of course, this is not all-inclusive. I'll go see pretty much anyone if I'm in the mood for a show and the genre is right. The point is that concerts are great, and you should go to some. I'm going with Zimm and Shoeless Joel to see Wilco next week, so that's exciting again.

0 comments: